The community in which you complete your internal medicine residency is also the community in which you will live for three years. It’s important that you not only find fulfillment in your residency program, but enjoy the community of which you be a part.
Athens is located in northeast Georgia, about an hour east of Atlanta. While Clarke County is the smallest county in Georgia (it’s only 122 square miles), it offers a plethora of activities, restaurants, shops, and unique experiences. Athens is home to a thriving music community and has an esteemed place in American music history. Though it does accommodate those who enjoy franchises and fast food joints, Athens is known best for its unique, independent restaurants. From Downtown to Normaltown, you can find southern soul food, sushi, steak, Tex-Mex, Italian, and locally-grown options. The ambiance varies as much as the cuisine; whether you’re looking to lounge around and sip wine on an outdoor patio, or need to pre-game it before the Georgia Bulldogs “tee it up between the hedges on a football Saturday,” Athens is the place to be.
Quick Facts about Athens
- Athens is located along the North Oconee River in Clarke County and is known as Georgia’s “Classic City of the South”
- Located 70 miles from Atlanta, below the scenic Blue Ridge mountains in North Georgia
- Home to the University of Georgia, Jittery Joe’s coffee, R.E.M., the B-52s, Drive-By Truckers, and Widespread Panic
- Clarke County Area: 122 square miles, the smallest county in Georgia
- Population: 116,714 (according to 2010 U.S. Census)
- Weather: July: 90ºF average high, January 33ºF average low
- Excellent school systems in the public and private sectors
- Southern hospitality at its finest
The Classic Center Theatre • The Georgia Museum of Art • State Botanical Garden of Georgia • UGA Athletics • AthFest • Athens Twilight Criterium • Ciné • Morton Theatre • Georgia Theater
Athens Restaurants & Coffee Hits
Jittery Joe’s • The Last Resort • The Grit • Viva! Argentine Cuisine • Clocked • Mama’s Boy • The Globe • Amici’s • Automatic Pizza • Siri Thai • 5 & 10 • The National • Porterhouse Grill • Tlaloc • South Kitchen & Bar • Big City Bread • Table Bistro • Cali & Tito’s • Seabear • Creature Comforts Brewery • Terrapin Brewery • Akademia Brewing Company
To learn more about what Athens has to offer, visit: