Welcome to St. Mary’s Health Care System! Below, you will find our student requirements listed in each step. Please review all online documents and complete all prior to beginning your clinical rotation at St. Mary’s. Should you have any questions regarding:
-contact the Clinical Education Department at (706) 389-2150.
– contact the Graduate Medical Education Department at (706) 389-3848.
- Practicum Students: Pre-Med, Pre-Nursing, Public Health Administration, Exercise & Sports Science, Health Promotion & Behavior, and other clinical fields not listed
- Clinical Students: Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Radiology Technician, Social Worker, Sonographer, Lab Technician
- Non-clinical Students: Any student or intern not requiring direct or indirect patient care experience. Examples are Marketing Intern, Legal Services Intern, HIM Intern
- Advance Practice Students: Physician Assistant, Nursing Anesthetist, Nurse Practitioner, Mid-wife, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Medical Students: Student attending Medical School to be a physician
- Pharmacy Student: Pharmacist
- Residency Program
Confirm St. Mary's has a current Student Affiliation Agreement in place with your school before beginning the orientation process. To confirm that an Agreement exists, please contact the following:
Clinical and Non-clinical Students
Advance Practice Students
Once the Affiliation Agreement is in place, it is the student's responsibility to locate a preceptor.
School and/or Student provide the following via email or fax:
Graduate Medical Education (706) 389-3861 or email to email@example.com.
Clinical Education (706) 389-2151 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of good standing from the program coordinator and/or director. The letter should list the rotation the student will be on while at St. Mary’s, including dates, as well as the medical staff member that has agreed to sponsor/precept the student.
- Copy of Clinical Objectives, Schedule, and Contact Information
- Current Immunization Record or Titers
- Copy of the last two TB Skin Test. A two-step TB Skin Test is required if this is the initial test or it has been greater than a year. This is two separate TB skin tests, given one to three weeks apart within the past 12 months.
- Proof of Flu vaccination if indicated on the Influenza Vaccination Declination form for the current season October 1 – March 31
- Current Health and History Exam by a qualified healthcare provider and must indicate a health status that is sufficient for the learning experience.
- Criminal Background Check results – arranged by your educational institution and must be from St. Mary’s Health Care System’s list of approved companies.
- Seven-panel drug screen must be completed while in the program of study and includes Benzodiazepines, Cocaine, Amphetamines, THC, Opiates, Barbiturates and Phencyclidines.
- Copy of current BLS certification (CPR)
- Copy of Medical Malpractice Insurance provided by the training program
- Copy of current Professional License for all licensed professional students
- Signed Electronic Documentation Training Form for students that require Meditech access
- Color headshot for St. Mary’s ID badges in jpeg format (applies to Advance Practice Students Only)
- Copy of FIT Test if done through school
- Signed Electronic Documentation Training Form (click here for form) for students that require Meditech access. Once signed, email or fax to the appropriate representative (as stated above).
Student completes the below documents ONLINE via www.stmarysathens.org:
- Student Information Form, Flu Declination Form, Hepatitis B Vaccination Form: located under Step 3
- Hospital Orientation, Test/Checklist, and Confidentiality Agreement: located under Step 4
Clinical and Non-clinical students will pick up a buddy badge in the Clinical Education Department
Advance Practice Students will pick up Identification Badge in the Graduate Medical Education Office. Please bring a valid form of identification or driver’s license for verification.